Starting with this past Saturday, it's become the time of the year where I just get extremely nostalgic and think back on some of the best and worst times in my life.
In the past five years, around this time of year, things have gone crazy. Ups and downs, happiness and sadness. And it's different every year. This year:, so far It's happiness. Last year: confusion. 2008: sadness. 2007: frustration. 2006: abandonment.
Maybe it's been a bit more bad than good, but nonetheless, between September 23 and October 15, it's always something. All of which leads right up to my birthday on October 14th.
This was something I realized last night: it's been a year since [x] happened and three since [y] happened, but now [z] is happening... Sorry for the vagueness, there's just some hard feelings and memories in there.
So now, I'm holding on to this good feeling that I have and am going to try to ride it out until the 15th. What a weird time of the year...
Given that today is Independence Day in the US, I thought I'd give my own version of the history of the United States of America. I'm going to tell this as I think it goes (and making things up to make the story work) without looking at any sources until I'm done. Expect lunacy and lies. I'm already laughing.
After Christopher Columbus, after the Mayflower and Plymouth Rock, after Atlantis disappeared, after the Boston Tea Party, after the Shot Heard 'Round The World, and some other events of importance that I cannot, for the life of me remember, there were a group of men who decided that England was terrible and should be told to screw themselves.
These men were called The Masons. The year was 1776.
Here's wishing I was doing more than sitting on a couch right now.
When I walk through Grand Rapids sometimes, I'm surprised at the amount of gnats and bugs I see. Why? Well, this is a damn city; a clear sign that we've conquered nature, so you'd think nature would stay the hell away sometimes. Especially in such large amounts. Strength in numbers, I guess. And you'd think that we'd have some kind of solution for this, yet these pests roam like they own the place. I guess I can't blame non-thinking types like gnats and mosquitoes for their arrogance.
The idea for under-100-word posts, stolen from Warren Ellis.
So, yeah. Here's just a list of songs with specific lyrics that have been in my head lately. You know, for funzies:
- "A Better Place, A Better Time" - Streetlight Manifesto
- "And when you wake up,
Everything is gonna be fine.
Guarantee that you'll wake in a better place,
And in a better time.
So you're tired of living,
Feel like you might give in,
It's not your time."
- "And when you wake up,
- "We Are The Few" - Streetlight Manifesto
- "Dear Mister Gepetto,
I hope this finds you well,
I wrote this letter,
Because we miss you here in hell..."
- "Dear Mister Gepetto,
- "Good Fucking Bye" - Matt Skiba
- "You made me such an ass hole,
I wish we'd never met."
- "You made me such an ass hole,
- "All Choked Up" - Say Anything
- "Want to be more than that, tonight
And live for the moment."
- "Want to be more than that, tonight
- "Refused Are Fucking Dead (EP Version)" - Refused
- "Bring it in! Bring it in! Bring it in! Yeah!"
Looking over the lyrics... a lot are in random parts of songs. My head is just weird I guess.
All of those songs are pretty neutral, so I suggest everyone go check them out. The song by Refused is probably my favorite on that list as I've loved that version of the song since like... 11th grade. It's a sweet mix of that song--the original version is a more hardcore punk song whereas this one is a cool "techno" mix of the song. Man I love that band.
It's been a crazy past four days.
- I moved into my new place in Allendale with Brian and Josh on Saturday
- This includes moving a bed, a desk, a TV + stand, all of my comics & trade paperbacks, a bookshelf, stereo & speakers, all of my DVDs and books, all of my clothes and other odds and ends
- I also helped Brian move his bed, desk, dresser, desk chair and other things into his room
- I acquired a cold after unpacking 80% of my said moved stuff in my room (I blame the dust)
- I've watched at least 8 episodes of Supernatural with Katherine as well as the last few episodes of The IT Crowd, series 2
- I've sorted 200+ comics and filed them in my longboxes
- I've washed all of my clothes and arranged them in a functional way in my room
- I picked up last week's comics on Saturday
- I shot some of Jeff & Mike on Sunday in the blistering cold over at Whitecap Comics with Jeff and the rest of the J&M crew
- This only made me more sick
I'm sure there's some more in there, but overall it's been a long four days; so long, in fact, that my body decided to give me a big middle finger yesterday by keeping me in bed instead of going to work and class.
So, I'm still battling this cold and I'm making myself go through class and work today sniffling and coughing--oh yeah, I acquired a cough last night/this morning. DayQuil to the rescue!
This week is going to go by quick, I assume. Rest tonight. Comic Book Club, tomorrow--we're watching Batman. Friday will most likely mean D&D. Saturday will be dedicated to shooting Jeff & Mike. Sunday is the Superbowl--which I really don't care much for, but will probably be spent drinking beers and eating chili with Jeff and some people. Whew. This should be fun.
I hope everyone else's past four days have been good. I'll be around with more random updates.
This is an issue that haunts people day and night: What To-Do list application should I use?
If you know anything about me, I am the type of person who gets things done typically in order of mental priority. It's a bit of a burden. So! Last night while laying in bed, I decided that when I woke up I needed to find a good To-Do app of some kind to keep my mind focused on tasks I may have and to make sure I remember the shit I need to do.
My options based on 20 minutes of research are these:
- To-Do for the iPhone
- This seems like a pretty sweet application with many uses, but $10? That's a little rough.
- Google Tasks on the iPhone
- I had no idea this existed, and the benefit is that it would sync to my GMail account so I could access this stuff all over--seeing that I use every aspect of Google that I can.
- The only issue I have with this option is that it runs through the iPhone's browser and isn't it's own app which makes it a tad annoying.
- Pen & Paper agenda
- I'm talking about using a small agenda that I carry around 24/7 to keep track of everything.
- In all honesty, this seems like my best choice.
My decision is pretty much made, but if anyone has any better suggestions I'd like to hear them. I hate having a terrible memory...
So, I haven't updated in like 3 months.. yeah.
I felt the urge to spread the tale of awesomeness tonight that I had.
It all began with my new found buddy Brian offering to Jared and myself to go out to an "Ugly Sweater Party" hosted by some people he knew from his work. I agreed, as the idea of such a party made me laugh a bit. So! After Jared and I bought some seriously 90s prep-looking sweaters from Goodwill, we proceeded to get picked up by Brian and head for this party donned in our sweaters. Mind you, it was a good 80 degrees out today, so wearing these sweaters was a serious task for us. Anyways, we get to the party and have a good ol' time with the 15 or so people there and at some point later on we ended up talking in Scottish accents. Jared, Brian and I were just going at it non-stop. So, we end up taking off from the party around 1:30am to get some IHOP--as we were ALL in the mood for something to eat. Oh and we got semi-lost/confused on the highways coming from dropping off Brian's friend Erica, but we made our way to IHOP eventually.
We carry on the Scottish (Irish for Jared) accents into IHOP and sit down and take our orders and the waitress honestly believed us to be from 'across the pond.' She kept asking us simple questions about why we were here in Michigan and how it's been since we got here and all that jazz. It was a serious riot. But of course, to keep ourselves into the mood, we kept speaking in the accents while the waitress was away making sure the other customers believed us as well. We made up a story about Jared's uncle Brenden who was a real party animal and how he was in jail for some reason and Jared kept getting snobbish because 'we knew damn well why his uncle was in prison and how we shouldn't speak of it any more' trying to play off being ashamed. Brian and I played it as if we were cousin's and how Brian could drive whereas I couldn't because I didn't want to take the damn driving test here dispite my being here in the US for a year and a half. We kept our composure for about 45 minutes and didn't laugh or break character for a second. It was flipping fantastic.
So my night ended in serious talk in Scottish accents and badassery. How about that?
It's "read" I know, but nevertheless.....
Thanks to Bob, I was inspired to write a monster post about ALL the RSS reeds I read. I'll let you know which once are my favorite as I go. Let's just go with that and start... now:
- A Work In Progress (RSS) - The blog of Jim McCann, a marketer at Marvel... saw him at Wizard World. He hasn't updated in a while, but he's a fairly interesting guy.
- Along Came Holly... (RSS) - The blog of my cousin-in-law (or whatever you call your cousin's wife). Mainly blogging about life and random happenstances within involving Holly.
- Ben Szczytko (RSS) - The blog of a co-worker Ben Szczytko. I think he just made it because he needed something to go on his URL, but I'm sure he'll post some fun stuff.
- Ben's Blog (RSS) - Blog of my cousin (husband of Holly). He posts some fun stuff... a lot of it is building and such, but I giggle here and there over some of his posts.
- blog.iphone-dev.org (RSS) - The blog/tumblr of those pesky hackers who create the jailbreak software for the iPhone.
- boxee blog (RSS) - The blog the the Boxee peeps who make one of the coolest media browsers ever... private beta for now, but I'm waiting for my invite! Pretty interesting stuff if you're into watching TV online.
- Channel 101: NY - The Defenders of Stan (RSS) - By far one of the funniest webTV shows I have ever seen. Ever.
- CHUCK BB's Axes of Evil! (RSS) - Blog of this super bad ass metal comic book artist. Super. Bad. Ass.
- Coding Horror (RSS) - "The World's Most Dangerous Programming Blog." But seriously, a cool site for those who code. Cool topics and more for those tech nerds out there like me.
- Comics Daily (RSS) - A comic reviewing site. Definitely some new perspectives on comics from the authors.
- Daniel Slaughter (RSS) - Another blog of a fellow co-worker... Very random posts for sure, but definitely interesting.
- Daring Fireball (RSS) - Tech/cool/interesting blog from John Gruber. Probably my favorite blog to follow just because Mr. Gruber posts some damn interesting links and, well, just good content.
- Dave Poortvilet (RSS) - Boss at work. Lots of great pictures, causes, and trips.
- DestroyTheCyb.org (RSS) - Comic reviews by me and my friends. Yea, I subscribe to my own RSS.
- Disney, etc. (RSS) - Random Disney news... it's seriously cool.
- FAIL Blog: Pictures and Videos of Owned, Pwnd and Fail Moments (RSS) - Despite my hate of people who say "FAIL" out loud, this site is funny 75% of the time with terrible "FAIL!" moments.
- FAIL FOODS FOODS THAT FAIL (RSS) - usually gross foods, sometimes funny foods... I just have it because I do.
- Falon's World (RSS) - Blog of a former co-worker. Lots of dogs and pictures.
- Fantastic Fangirls: Comics and Culture (RSS) - Four girls, comics and awesomeness. Definitely one of my favorites.
- FreakAngels (RSS) - Blog/free comic from writer Warren Ellis.
- Google Mac Blog (RSS) - Google's own Mac blog. Announcements of new applications and further development for the Mac from Google.
- GraphJam: Music and Pop Culture in Charts and Graphs. Let us explain them. (RSS) - Graphs that will make you laugh your ass off.
- GVSU Apple Club (RSS) - Periodic updates (weekly or so) about the goings on of the GVSU Apple Group, Apples & Oranges.
- ham fisted theatrics (RSS) - Blog of one of the members of Derrickcomedy.
- Hammer of the Gods (RSS) - Blog of a comic book nerd and monster fan of Thor.
- i should be coding (RSS) - Another coding blog... about coding.
- Jean's Palate (RSS) - Blog of @jeangwang about food.
- Jonathan Coulton (RSS) - Blog of Johnathon Coulton, coder turned musician.
- Kicking Arse (RSS) - Blog of some cool guys from the UK following the making of the Kick-Ass movie.
- Kirkmania - Robert Kirkman (RSS) - The blog of the one and only Robert Kirkman -- one of the best comic book writers of our time.
- Last.fm – the Blog (RSS) - You guessed it, the blog from the guys at Last.fm
- Marvel Blogs: Blah Blah Blog by Tom_Brevoort (RSS) - Blog from Mr. Continuity, Tom Brevoort from Marvel.
- mikerapin's friendstream on 12seconds.tv (RSS) - The people I follow on 12seconds.tv - a site aimed at creating visual tweets.
- My Boring Ass Life (RSS) - The blog of Mr. Kevin Smith.
- Neoformix (RSS) - Bad ass graphs based on words, Twitter and awesomeness.
- pixelspread (RSS) - Blog of @mattmc. Lots of awesome design stuff piled on top of plain coolness.
- Random Tidbits of Information (RSS) - Random blog I stumbled upon... interesting url...
- SAVAGE BREAKFAST - Home Of Writer Brian Reed (RSS) - Another comic book blogger... Brian Reed, writer of Ms. Marvel and others. He's a fun guy.
- Skelliewag.org (RSS) - Social Media blog. Interesting to say the least.
- sparkle + fade (RSS) - @typeis4lovers blog. Fun design things.
- Springfield Punx (RSS) - Turning characters from all over into Simpsonized characters. Another favorite of mine.
- The BoBlog (RSS) - Blog of @bobwise - the guy who inspired this post. His posts always spark my interest.
- The Cool Kids Table (RSS) - A very in depth comic book blog.
- The Macinjosh Report (RSS) - The rarely updated blog of @themacinjosh.
- Through My Lense (RSS) - The even more rarely updated blog of @cowboyEric.
- TorrentFreak (RSS) - A blog focused on information about the BitTorrent community.
- Twitter Status (RSS) - The official Twitter status blog/tumblr.
- Twitter Status (well, the fake one anyways) (RSS) - A very good mock of the above site/rss.
- Twitter Technology Blog (RSS) - The developers blog for Twitter.
- Web Worker Daily (RSS) - A very cool site with general web info such as how to deal with clients and such. Very interested.
- Shirt Woot! (RSS) - One Shirt. One Day.
- Woot! (RSS) - One Deal. One Day.
- CBR News (RSS) - Comic book news and reviews from Comic Book Resources
- IGN Comics (RSS) - Comic Book news and reviews from IGN
- Marvel Comics (RSS) - RSS for the Marvel comics catalog.
- Marvel Wallpapers (RSS) - RSS for Marvel's wallpapers
- Newsarama.com - Comics (RSS) - Comic book news and extras from Newsarama.com
- Gizmodo (RSS) - Favorite tech/gadget blog on the net
- io9 (RSS) - Favorite sci-fi news and awesomeness on the net
- Lifehacker (RSS) - Favorite general awesomeness site on the net
- Download Squad - iPhone (RSS) Google (RSS) Mac (RSS) - Tech blog for three things I'm super into.
- iPhone Alley - RSS (RSS) - great iPhone site. Thanks to @michaeljohnston for turning me onto this one.
- MacOSXHints.com (RSS) - Hints for your Mac. Definitely a favorite of mine.
- Slashdot (RSS) - Hardcore tech and everything tech blog.
- The Next Web (RSS) - pretty sweet blog about the interwebs.
- The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (RSS) - Best Apple blog site on the web as far as I'm concerned.
- Wine Review (RSS) - A blog about Wine, the windows emulation software. Bad ass site if you're into being all h4x0r.
Tumblrs - I can't really describe most of these, so check them all out.
- .THE ALLi SHOW. (RSS) - The tumblr of Ms. @exsnohs
- 147xxxx (RSS) - The tumblr of a half-disgruntled Starbucks employee.
- ____ like you give a damn. (RSS)
- Amir on AIM (RSS)
- Documentary (RSS) - An amazing tumblr started by @mattmc based strictly around telling people about documentaries.
- garfield minus garfield (RSS) - My favorite Tumblr ever.
- Gondaba.com (RSS)
- Jacob Bijani (RSS)
- Jessica Bigarel (RSS)
- Keep it Kangster: David Kang's Tumblelog (RSS)
- Lianablog (RSS)
- Life in the Left Lane (RSS)
- Limes Not Lemons | It’s a blog, dipshit. (RSS)
- naturalog = LN (RSS) - Tumblr of @yoha_ahoy
- Randomness from Rob. (RSS) - Tumblr of @robrogan
- Stuff that I find (RSS) - Tumblr of @l4zyn3rd
- THE BROKERS WITH HANDS ON THEIR FACES BLOG (RSS) - This always makes me giggle
- Tony Stark - CEO (RSS)
- tumbl.us (RSS) - Tumblr of @mattmc
- Bunny (RSS) - Bunny comic -- it's odd.
- Criggo (RSS) - Obvious or just dumb posts in newspapers
- Explosm.net (RSS) - Daily comic of insanity
- indexed (RSS) - Daily comic of graphs on index cards -- clever and fun.
- Married To The Sea (RSS) - seriously weird and somehow funny
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (RSS) - Absolutely hilarious every day. Daily.
- Superpoop (RSS) - Random. Just random.
- Toothpaste For Dinner (RSS) - Pretty funny, but sometimes really weird.
- WE THE ROBOTS (RSS) - Cute and funny robots
- xkcd.com (RSS) - Techy and nerdy and fun - Updated Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
- Ain't It Cool News (RSS) - News based on TV, Movies and comics. Pretty much amazing.
- APOD (RSS) - Daily images from space!!!
- Comic Book Wallpapers (RSS) - Sweet comic book wallpapers
- MuggleNet (RSS) - All the Harry Potter news you'd ever need.
- Rotten Tomatoes: In Theaters (RSS) - New Movies in theatres and their rating
- The Big Picture (RSS) - Monster size pictures of cool events/things from around the world.
- wtflickr (RSS) - Random pictures from Flickr...
So... I read a lot of damn news. I hope you got something out of this :).