It's "read" I know, but nevertheless.....
Thanks to Bob, I was inspired to write a monster post about ALL the RSS reeds I read. I'll let you know which once are my favorite as I go. Let's just go with that and start... now:
- A Work In Progress (RSS) - The blog of Jim McCann, a marketer at Marvel... saw him at Wizard World. He hasn't updated in a while, but he's a fairly interesting guy.
- Along Came Holly... (RSS) - The blog of my cousin-in-law (or whatever you call your cousin's wife). Mainly blogging about life and random happenstances within involving Holly.
- Ben Szczytko (RSS) - The blog of a co-worker Ben Szczytko. I think he just made it because he needed something to go on his URL, but I'm sure he'll post some fun stuff.
- Ben's Blog (RSS) - Blog of my cousin (husband of Holly). He posts some fun stuff... a lot of it is building and such, but I giggle here and there over some of his posts.
- blog.iphone-dev.org (RSS) - The blog/tumblr of those pesky hackers who create the jailbreak software for the iPhone.
- boxee blog (RSS) - The blog the the Boxee peeps who make one of the coolest media browsers ever... private beta for now, but I'm waiting for my invite! Pretty interesting stuff if you're into watching TV online.
- Channel 101: NY - The Defenders of Stan (RSS) - By far one of the funniest webTV shows I have ever seen. Ever.
- CHUCK BB's Axes of Evil! (RSS) - Blog of this super bad ass metal comic book artist. Super. Bad. Ass.
- Coding Horror (RSS) - "The World's Most Dangerous Programming Blog." But seriously, a cool site for those who code. Cool topics and more for those tech nerds out there like me.
- Comics Daily (RSS) - A comic reviewing site. Definitely some new perspectives on comics from the authors.
- Daniel Slaughter (RSS) - Another blog of a fellow co-worker... Very random posts for sure, but definitely interesting.
- Daring Fireball (RSS) - Tech/cool/interesting blog from John Gruber. Probably my favorite blog to follow just because Mr. Gruber posts some damn interesting links and, well, just good content.
- Dave Poortvilet (RSS) - Boss at work. Lots of great pictures, causes, and trips.
- DestroyTheCyb.org (RSS) - Comic reviews by me and my friends. Yea, I subscribe to my own RSS.
- Disney, etc. (RSS) - Random Disney news... it's seriously cool.
- FAIL Blog: Pictures and Videos of Owned, Pwnd and Fail Moments (RSS) - Despite my hate of people who say "FAIL" out loud, this site is funny 75% of the time with terrible "FAIL!" moments.
- FAIL FOODS FOODS THAT FAIL (RSS) - usually gross foods, sometimes funny foods... I just have it because I do.
- Falon's World (RSS) - Blog of a former co-worker. Lots of dogs and pictures.
- Fantastic Fangirls: Comics and Culture (RSS) - Four girls, comics and awesomeness. Definitely one of my favorites.
- FreakAngels (RSS) - Blog/free comic from writer Warren Ellis.
- Google Mac Blog (RSS) - Google's own Mac blog. Announcements of new applications and further development for the Mac from Google.
- GraphJam: Music and Pop Culture in Charts and Graphs. Let us explain them. (RSS) - Graphs that will make you laugh your ass off.
- GVSU Apple Club (RSS) - Periodic updates (weekly or so) about the goings on of the GVSU Apple Group, Apples & Oranges.
- ham fisted theatrics (RSS) - Blog of one of the members of Derrickcomedy.
- Hammer of the Gods (RSS) - Blog of a comic book nerd and monster fan of Thor.
- i should be coding (RSS) - Another coding blog... about coding.
- Jean's Palate (RSS) - Blog of @jeangwang about food.
- Jonathan Coulton (RSS) - Blog of Johnathon Coulton, coder turned musician.
- Kicking Arse (RSS) - Blog of some cool guys from the UK following the making of the Kick-Ass movie.
- Kirkmania - Robert Kirkman (RSS) - The blog of the one and only Robert Kirkman -- one of the best comic book writers of our time.
- Last.fm – the Blog (RSS) - You guessed it, the blog from the guys at Last.fm
- Marvel Blogs: Blah Blah Blog by Tom_Brevoort (RSS) - Blog from Mr. Continuity, Tom Brevoort from Marvel.
- mikerapin's friendstream on 12seconds.tv (RSS) - The people I follow on 12seconds.tv - a site aimed at creating visual tweets.
- My Boring Ass Life (RSS) - The blog of Mr. Kevin Smith.
- Neoformix (RSS) - Bad ass graphs based on words, Twitter and awesomeness.
- pixelspread (RSS) - Blog of @mattmc. Lots of awesome design stuff piled on top of plain coolness.
- Random Tidbits of Information (RSS) - Random blog I stumbled upon... interesting url...
- SAVAGE BREAKFAST - Home Of Writer Brian Reed (RSS) - Another comic book blogger... Brian Reed, writer of Ms. Marvel and others. He's a fun guy.
- Skelliewag.org (RSS) - Social Media blog. Interesting to say the least.
- sparkle + fade (RSS) - @typeis4lovers blog. Fun design things.
- Springfield Punx (RSS) - Turning characters from all over into Simpsonized characters. Another favorite of mine.
- The BoBlog (RSS) - Blog of @bobwise - the guy who inspired this post. His posts always spark my interest.
- The Cool Kids Table (RSS) - A very in depth comic book blog.
- The Macinjosh Report (RSS) - The rarely updated blog of @themacinjosh.
- Through My Lense (RSS) - The even more rarely updated blog of @cowboyEric.
- TorrentFreak (RSS) - A blog focused on information about the BitTorrent community.
- Twitter Status (RSS) - The official Twitter status blog/tumblr.
- Twitter Status (well, the fake one anyways) (RSS) - A very good mock of the above site/rss.
- Twitter Technology Blog (RSS) - The developers blog for Twitter.
- Web Worker Daily (RSS) - A very cool site with general web info such as how to deal with clients and such. Very interested.
- Shirt Woot! (RSS) - One Shirt. One Day.
- Woot! (RSS) - One Deal. One Day.
- CBR News (RSS) - Comic book news and reviews from Comic Book Resources
- IGN Comics (RSS) - Comic Book news and reviews from IGN
- Marvel Comics (RSS) - RSS for the Marvel comics catalog.
- Marvel Wallpapers (RSS) - RSS for Marvel's wallpapers
- Newsarama.com - Comics (RSS) - Comic book news and extras from Newsarama.com
- Gizmodo (RSS) - Favorite tech/gadget blog on the net
- io9 (RSS) - Favorite sci-fi news and awesomeness on the net
- Lifehacker (RSS) - Favorite general awesomeness site on the net
- Download Squad - iPhone (RSS) Google (RSS) Mac (RSS) - Tech blog for three things I'm super into.
- iPhone Alley - RSS (RSS) - great iPhone site. Thanks to @michaeljohnston for turning me onto this one.
- MacOSXHints.com (RSS) - Hints for your Mac. Definitely a favorite of mine.
- Slashdot (RSS) - Hardcore tech and everything tech blog.
- The Next Web (RSS) - pretty sweet blog about the interwebs.
- The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (RSS) - Best Apple blog site on the web as far as I'm concerned.
- Wine Review (RSS) - A blog about Wine, the windows emulation software. Bad ass site if you're into being all h4x0r.
Tumblrs - I can't really describe most of these, so check them all out.
- .THE ALLi SHOW. (RSS) - The tumblr of Ms. @exsnohs
- 147xxxx (RSS) - The tumblr of a half-disgruntled Starbucks employee.
- ____ like you give a damn. (RSS)
- Amir on AIM (RSS)
- Documentary (RSS) - An amazing tumblr started by @mattmc based strictly around telling people about documentaries.
- garfield minus garfield (RSS) - My favorite Tumblr ever.
- Gondaba.com (RSS)
- Jacob Bijani (RSS)
- Jessica Bigarel (RSS)
- Keep it Kangster: David Kang's Tumblelog (RSS)
- Lianablog (RSS)
- Life in the Left Lane (RSS)
- Limes Not Lemons | It’s a blog, dipshit. (RSS)
- naturalog = LN (RSS) - Tumblr of @yoha_ahoy
- Randomness from Rob. (RSS) - Tumblr of @robrogan
- Stuff that I find (RSS) - Tumblr of @l4zyn3rd
- THE BROKERS WITH HANDS ON THEIR FACES BLOG (RSS) - This always makes me giggle
- Tony Stark - CEO (RSS)
- tumbl.us (RSS) - Tumblr of @mattmc
- Bunny (RSS) - Bunny comic -- it's odd.
- Criggo (RSS) - Obvious or just dumb posts in newspapers
- Explosm.net (RSS) - Daily comic of insanity
- indexed (RSS) - Daily comic of graphs on index cards -- clever and fun.
- Married To The Sea (RSS) - seriously weird and somehow funny
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (RSS) - Absolutely hilarious every day. Daily.
- Superpoop (RSS) - Random. Just random.
- Toothpaste For Dinner (RSS) - Pretty funny, but sometimes really weird.
- WE THE ROBOTS (RSS) - Cute and funny robots
- xkcd.com (RSS) - Techy and nerdy and fun - Updated Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
- Ain't It Cool News (RSS) - News based on TV, Movies and comics. Pretty much amazing.
- APOD (RSS) - Daily images from space!!!
- Comic Book Wallpapers (RSS) - Sweet comic book wallpapers
- MuggleNet (RSS) - All the Harry Potter news you'd ever need.
- Rotten Tomatoes: In Theaters (RSS) - New Movies in theatres and their rating
- The Big Picture (RSS) - Monster size pictures of cool events/things from around the world.
- wtflickr (RSS) - Random pictures from Flickr...
So... I read a lot of damn news. I hope you got something out of this :).
If you're a web somewhat familiar with the internet, I'm sure you read blogs and news web sites and all that jazz. If you're a web geek like me, you probably subscribe to RSS feed and all that awesomeness. If you're a super-fly geek-a-zoid you may be into this little application called Snackr.
Currently in version 0.33, Snackr is a sweet Adobe Air application, originally featured on Lifehacker, that puts a RSS ticker on your computer where ever you want... like, seriously where ever you want. It's awesome.
I originally saw the article on Lifehacker in my Google Reader and was instantly interested in trying out this program. Given that I was at work, I was using a second monitor and the awesome part of this program was that it detected my second monitor and allowed me to choose which screen displayed the program. And as I mentioned, I was using Google Reader, so I easily exported an OPML file and imported right into Snackr with no problem.
And here's my run down:
- Adobe Air aka Cross platform goodness
- Multiple screen support
- Easily add/import/export RSS feeds
- Pretty as hell (Adobe Air pretty much guarantees this)
- Amazing looking previews for each item scrolling
- A HUGE CPU eater... I'm talking 28% of my processor (I'm on a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook with 2GB of RAM)
- No size adjustment when it comes to height/width (depending on where you have it placed)
As you can see, the only real downside is this application's CPU chomping, but I'm guessing with future versions, the hunger for power will be vastly downsized and Snackr will probably become a very worthwhile application.
What I'd like to see is a very small, one line per feed version that ran in 12pt font at the top or bottom of your screen for minimal distraction and space consumption... but that's just my wishing. (Check their wishlist... crazy...)